Here are a few pics from around the farm this week. Enjoy!
Monday, April 1, 2013
Tuesday, March 19, 2013
I meant to post about this kidding a while ago, but i keep forgetting.
Oreo had a pretty hard kidding. Here is the story in pictures, thanks to my little brother who had the camera.
|She was in labor for about 12 hours before the bubble appeared. So me and my sister checked around the clock.|
|when the bubble finally appeared, I tried to see if I could see the nose and 2 hoofs, but couldn't.|
|the bubble popped and there was only one foot.|
|found the other foot shortly after the first one appeard|
|started to pull and then realized there was no nose.|
|put my hand in and the head was bent back to the left side of its body|
|Figuring out how to get the kid out since she was really tight|
|I pushed the hooves back in to try to get the head out. I had been working at getting the kid out for about 5 minutes at this point.|
|poor thing, he looks lifeless|
|finally got the head but the legs were back and the shoulders were getting stuck|
|clearing out his airway. He was having a hard time breathing|
The camera died so we didn't get the pics of me getting his shoulders unstuck. His head was out for about 15 minutes, i thought for sure both the mom and the kid were gonna die on me. She ran out of strength, so i had to find one of the shoulders and bend it forward. I was able to get one leg, but the kid was so big the other shoulder had to be pulled. It took about 35 or 40 minutes to get the kid out. Both mom and kid were fine. She had a healthy 8 lb. alpine buckling.
Thursday, March 14, 2013
Thought I'd share this story about one of my does very hard kidding. This post is from Good Goats, they helped my get the kid out. Very thankful to have had them there to help!
"Thursday morning was a rushed early morning. I had just came in from doing chores and was about to head out the door to an estate sale when the phone rang. My mom answered and it was our good friend on the line.
"I think we're going to have to kill Athena" were the first words out of her mouth.
"The kid is stuck really bad, is dead, and I can't get it out."
"Give her some MFO and we'll be over in a few."
In the truck and down the road we went. Once we got there, Athena (a LaMancha doe), was in labor, having hard contractions and was obviously a little distressed. There was no kid foot or anything sticking out. Our friend had already been trying for about 30 minutes to get the kid out. When she originally found the doe in labor (who had probably been in labor for some time before she was found that morning), the kid was all the way upside down, trying to come out. That just won't work. So she went in and tried to flip the kid all the way around and pull him out. She couldn't get him out though.
Once we got there, my mom went in and felt around for a while. Eventually we figured out the kid had flipped back on his side. . . and obviously, a kid can't come out sideways. The doe was also very tight feeling. I wasn't sure if she was all the way dilated. She seemed very swollen on the inside and very unusually small inside, especially for a doe who has kidded before. Just incase and to possibly help things out, I gave her a shot of Lutalyse to help dilate things if needed.
So, my mom went back in and successfully flipped him down to the position he is supposed to be in. We knew the kid was dead at this point. We took a small break for the doe, gave her some more MFO (calcium, magnesium, potassium and dextrose) and a little molasses water.
After the little breather, back in we went and grabbed ahold of the kids head and pulled hard, really hard. From the outside I gave her some counter pressure on the kid's head to help him slide out. Finally, his head popped out, whew! His feet were not there though, so my friend went back in with one hand and found one of his front feet. After a few hard pulls, he was finally out. Dead, but out of poor momma goat at least. My mom went back in to check if there were any other kids, and there were not.
The doe was slightly in shock, so we let her lick the dead kid off a few times just to "snap her out of it." She didn't want to get up at this point, so we carried her into the barn. Her vulva was extremely swollen, poor girl. We gave her a shot of Banamine, started her on 5-days of Penicillin and gave her a little Shepherd's Purse to stop any bleeding.
Sad we lost the baby, but very glad that the doe is doing good."