Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Oreo's Kidding

I meant to post about this kidding a while ago, but i keep forgetting.
 Oreo had a pretty hard kidding.  Here is the story in pictures, thanks to my little brother who had the camera.
 
She was in labor for about 12 hours before the bubble appeared.  So me and my sister  checked around the clock.
poor thing

when the bubble finally appeared, I tried to see if I could see the nose and 2 hoofs, but couldn't.

the bubble popped and there was only one foot.
found the other foot shortly after the first one appeard
started to pull and then realized there was no nose.
put my hand in and the head was bent back to the left side of its body

Figuring out how to get the kid out since she was really tight
I pushed the hooves back in to try to get the head out.  I had been working at getting the kid out for about 5 minutes at this point.

poor thing, he looks lifeless

finally got the head but the legs were back and the shoulders were getting stuck
clearing out his airway.  He was having a hard time breathing





The camera died so we didn't get the pics of me getting his shoulders unstuck.  His head was out for about 15 minutes, i thought for sure both the mom and the kid were gonna die on me.  She ran out of strength, so i had to find one of the shoulders and bend it forward.  I was able to get one leg, but the kid was so big the other shoulder had to be pulled.  It took about 35 or 40 minutes to get the kid out.  Both mom and kid were fine.  She had a healthy 8 lb. alpine buckling.




~Arael

No comments:

Post a Comment